What’s the first image that pops into your mind when you think of old-school barbershops? For many, it’s bound to be a vintage barber chair or a reclaimed barber’s pole–but for our team, it’s a sturdy little tin of Reuzel pomade.
If you know exactly what we’re talking about, then you’re among friends. If not, keep reading to learn more about Reuzel–the quintessential brand of men’s grooming products, and the latest arrival to the Care to Beauty store.
The history behind Reuzel pomade
Reuzel (pronounced roo-zel) is a Dutch brand of men’s grooming products inspired by a love of classic barbering and rock’n’roll. The brand’s founders, Leen and Bertus, tapped into their experience as the owners of Schorem Haarsnijder en Barbier, a classic barbershop in the heart of the working class city of Rotterdam, to create pomades worthy of even the strictest standards. The resulting formulas are among the world’s finest, which certainly explains their popularity among grooming-conscious men.
Fans of Reuzel pomade have even adopted the term “scumbags” as a badge of honor. This was done in reference to Schorem, the barbershop where the brand was created. According to Leen and Bertus, Schorem has a double meaning in Dutch: on one hand it means “scumbags” or “bad boys”, on the other, it means “I shaved him”.
And that’s not even the end of the wordplay. The brand’s name, Reuzel, is actually the Dutch word for lard, a key ingredient in traditional pomades.
What is hair pomade?
Pomade is a men’s hair styling product that creates a shiny, firm, and long-lasting hold. Traditionally made from lard, petroleum jelly, beeswax, or lanolin, early pomades were a thick, waxy substance used to create classic male hairstyles like pompadours or quiffs. They were also popular with textured, curly, or coarse hair, due to their ability to add moisture and create better control over the hair.
Hair pomade provides a wealth of benefits over regular hairspray or gel: it creates longer-lasting hold and a shinier, darker finish, all the while taming even the wildest heads of hair. Pomade works well on hair of different lengths and styles, but also on mustaches, sideburns, beards, and other facial hair.
Reuzel pomade falls into two main categories, water-soluble and oil-based pomades. Find out which is which below:
Reuzel water-soluble pomades:
- Fiber Pomade • Strong, pliable hold with natural, low-shine finish. Best for shorter, medium to thick hair.
- Clay Matte • Heavy, stronger, more flexible hold with a matte finish. Contains antiperspirant qualities for shorter hair and a more active lifestyle.
- Reuzel Blue • High-shine with strong, firm hold that is easily washable and great for styling thicker, coarser hair types. The no-dry formula adds extra moisture with less flaking. Warm, vanilla wood scent.
- Reuzel Red • Medium-hold, high shine, no-dry formula for easy rinse-out and all-day shine. Good for all hair types. Slight vanilla cola fragrance.
- Extreme Hold Pomade • Extreme-hold, matte finish and maximum volume. It’s 1 better than 10, it’s an 11!
Reuzel oil-based pomades:
- Reuzel Pink • Pomade grease made with beeswax for strong, all-day hold with medium shine. Great for pomps, quiffs, and contours, controlling cowlicks, and unruly, thick, coarse hair.
- Reuzel Green • Medium shine and hold, made with beeswax and Tea Tree oil to break down build-up and make it easier to wash out. Best for trying different styles on normal to thick hair.
Water-soluble pomades are generally more flexible, easier to restyle throughout the day and easier to wash out. Oil-based pomades generally create firmer, longer-lasting holds that work well with pompadours, quiffs, and other classic men’s hairstyles.
In the end, Reuzel is sure to have the solution for your every grooming and styling need. Discover our complete selection of Reuzel products here, and don’t you worry–even if pomade isn’t your thing, there’s bound to be a product for you.
Beauty Writer & Editor