Most people desire strong nails that grow fast, aren’t brittle and don’t have any discoloration or ridging. However, having perfect nails isn’t easy to achieve. There is not one single way to grow nails faster or ensure your nails are growing strong. This is due to the fact that nails end up showing up what is going on with your body. Thus, it’s always important to check first what may be impacting your nail health, and then proceed to change your nailcare habits.
What are healthy nails?
Healthy nails tick all of the below:
- shiny and smooth surface, without any ridges;
- uniform color (the nail bed has a pink undertone that depends on the skin color and the free margin is white);
- slightly curved;
- moderate thickness – doesn’t bend easily, but also isn’t too thick to cut;
- cuticles in place, not cut or pushed back.
All in all, the secret to grow nails faster will be keeping your nails in these conditions, to make sure they can thrive.
How to grow my nails faster?
As we’ve previously written, healthy nails are impacted by a number of unbalances that may be happening in your body. Examples of these are nutrient deficiency, skin diseases such as psoriasis, or even fungal infections. So, firstly, you need to check your health with your doctor. Occasionally, all you need to do is to check out the rest of your body and treat any underlying illness or unbalance for your nail to rejuvenate.
In case you’ve already checked everything with your doctor and everything is fine, let’s check out some key ways to grow nails faster and stronger:
- moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. This can be the regular hand cream, or you can even use cuticle oil or a specific nail-targeted moisturizer. Everything you use to keep your nails nourished will help to keep them healthy. This is especially true after menopause, as the body overall tends to lose lipids and the nails will suffer from dryness.
- avoid trauma, and contact with allergens or irritants – using rubber gloves is a must when dealing with any kind of detergent, as they will remove any nourishing oils you may have on your nails;
- exchange your regular nail polish remover for an acetone-free polish remover;
- keep the nail structure intact. This means you should not push or remove cuticles, don’t file the surface of the nail (it makes the nail thinner and prone to splitting), and don’t place any sharp objects under the nail bed;
- consider taking biotin and cysteine supplements if your doctor agrees that it may help. Remember that these supplements must be used for at least 3-6 months for results.
Best nail growth treatment
As we’ve stated before, growing healthy nails is all about keeping your body and your nails healthy. However, there are some products that may be able to help with this.
Best oil for nail growth
Firstly, to grow nails faster, make sure you choose your favorite hand cream and use it regularly. This means using it at least twice a day, but more often if your hands are exposed to constant aggression. If you tend to have hardened cuticles, cuticle oil may be exactly the add-on you need.
Best nail growth serum
Then, there are some targeted products that can help with healthy nail growth. Some of them are meant to deeply nourish the nail, and some of them to make it harder and less prone to brittleness.
Supplements for nail health
Finally, supplements may be an option to help grow nails faster. Make sure to consult with your doctor before taking them. These supplements may interfere with lab results and are not needed if there isn’t a deficiency of nutrients, so take them only when it matters.
All in all, the answer to how to grow nails faster will always rely on taking care of your them. Nails need nutrients and oil to be healthy, so make sure you are not stripping them of any of these and that you are constantly nourishing them. Discover more tips on how to take care of your nails on our nail care routine guide.
Head of Content at Care to Beauty