“Pollution” has long been a dirty word, but it’s just now starting to raise alarm in the world of skincare. There us a growing anxiety, among both skincare experts and enthusiasts, regarding the potential effects of pollution and urban aggressors on our skin. Studies have shown a link between air pollution and premature skin aging, and there is some evidence suggesting that the light emitted by our phones and computers may be undermining our complexion. This has prompted beauty brands to develop a wealth of anti-pollution skincare products.
As we spend more and more of our time working (and playing) in busy, fast-paced environments beyond our control, it may be worth looking into the skincare options at our disposal in the fight against urban aggressions.
From anti-pollution shields to blue light sunscreens: what is “urban” skincare?
Across beauty brands, the concept of urban skincare seems to be following two main directions: anti-pollution shields that prevent and neutralize the accumulation of impurities and pollution particles on the skin, and blue light sunscreens that protect the skin against the glare of the digital devices so many of us use on a daily basis.
1. Anti-pollution shields
- Avène Sun Very High Protection B-Protect Enhanceur SPF50+ is a 3-in-1 sunscreen that provides anti-UV and anti-pollution production, as well as a subtle beautifying effect. With a delicate fragrance and a silky cream texture, this product is the perfect all-in-one for city-dwellers;
- Caudalie VineActiv is a luxurious collection of four smart products that strengthen the skin’s capacity for self-defense against external aggressions. The standout product is the Caudalie VineActiv 3-in-1 Moisturizer, an anti-wrinkle cream that hydrates the skin and provides up to 8 hours of anti-pollution protection;
- Esthederm City Protect InCellium Spray is a daily protective spray against environmental hazards such as pollution and free radicals. With just a quick spray, this formula envelops the skin in a cocoon that reduces its vulnerability to pollution and radiation.
- The Galénic Aqua Urban collection includes two sunscreens (SPF30 and SPF50+) and the Urban Pollution Defense Mist, an express skincare product that combines the anti-pollution benefits of dandelion extract with moisturizing agents to soothe the skin and slow the aging process;
- Martiderm The Originals Urban Restore Serum is a detox emulsion for those who live in urban areas and need to protect the skin from the damages of pollution. The fluid formula provides intensive hydration and promotes cell regeneration, for a brighter complexion;
- French brand NUXE has recently released Crème Prodigieuse Boost, a range of multi-corrective products to protect and rejuvenate damaged, stressed, and tired skin. Every product in the range contains a powerful antioxidant cocktail that combats fatigue and helps minimize the first signs of aging.
2. Blue light sunscreens
- Bioderma Photoderm M Tinted Cream SPF50+ is a tinted sunscreen product for hyperpigmentation-prone skin. Its formula with SPF50+ protects against UVA/UVB and HEV light;
- Martiderm Black Diamond Epigence Optima SPF50+ is the latest ampoule from Spanish brand Martiderm. This ultra-light formula boasts an impressive SPF50+, as well as protection against UVA, infrared, and HEV light;
- SVR Clairial Cream SPF50+ is a double action anti-brown spot cream that prevents and corrects hyerperpigmentation. Accordingly, it includes protection against HEV light on top of its regular UVA/UVB filters.
- Martiderm The Originals Urban Force Serum On Top SPF20 is a multipurpose urban “warrior” that protects the skin from HEV light while preventing pollutant particles from adhering to the skin. It should be applied as the last step of the skincare routine, to create a shield over the skin;
- Uriage Age Protect is an innovative anti-aging range that acts simultaneously on the first signs of aging and on the external aggressions to which the skin is subjected throughout the day: blue light, UV radiation, pollution, stress and fatigue. Every day cream in the range protects against HEV light, but Uriage Age Protect Multi-Action Cream SPF30 includes added protection against UVA/UVB.
But what about urban-proof… hair?
If the skin suffers with accumulated impurities and pollution particles, the hair is no exception. Fortunately, plenty of haircare brands have joined the anti-pollution beauty movement. The products below should help your hair resist the aggressions of urban life:
- Klorane has recently launched an anti-pollution hair care range with Aquatic Mint, composed of a shampoo, conditioner, and purifying mist. These products cleanse the hair, protect it against environmental residue, and neutralize odors throughout the day;
- The upcoming range from French brand Phyto, entitled Phytodetox, is composed of a pre-shampoo purifying mask, a clarifying shampoo, and a “rehab” mist that prevents particles and odors from adhering to the hair;
- The Vichy Dercos Nutrients Detox range includes three products: a shampoo, a conditioner, and a dry shampoo. The first two products protect the hair from the effects of permanent contact with pollution and prevent impurities from clinging to the hair fiber. The dry shampoo instantly refreshes the scalp and absorbs excess sebum, creating an effect that lasts up to 24 hours.
Content Writer at Care to Beauty