Improve your under-eye skin by getting rid of your dark circles once and for all.
We all get ourselves thinking how to get rid of our dark circles from time to time. Independent of the cause, there are several solutions that will make you have a revitalized look.
Dark circles vs Eye bags
Sometimes people confuse these terms, but they’re two different things.
Dark circles are characterized by the darkening around the eye area. Eye bags, on the other hand, are a result of the swelling that occurs around the eyes.
Even though this piece is more directed to dark circles, most of the solutions offered can solve both issues.
So why do we have dark circles?
Dark circles can be related to genetic or environmental factors.
They can be caused by an excess of pigmentation, which can be hereditary or a result of sun damage or hormonal changes. This type of dark circles has more of a brownish color.
If, however, your dark circles look more like a reddish-purple color is probably due to a vascular problem. Several causes like lack of sleep, seasonal allergies or dietary problems can make the veins under your eyes dilate, causing the darker appearance.
If you aren’t sure which type do you have, you can do a simple test! Try to pinch the skin under your eyes and gently lift it off the surface, if its appearance improves, it’s probably due to circulatory problems, if it stays the same, it’s likely to be a pigmentation problem.
Prevent dark circles by changing your lifestyle
If you really want to get rid of dark circles, you may have to change some of your habits.
- Try to maintain a rich anti-inflammatory diet, full of fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and healthy fats (like salmon, nuts, virgin olive…). This will help to improve the appearance of your entire body skin.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes. Drink with moderation: alcohol causes dehydration, which will make your vessels more visible. Try to drink less coffee, because caffeine causes vasoconstriction within the deepest layers of your skin, which, on contrary to topic caffeine, makes dark circles more accentuated. The nicotine found in cigarettes also causes vasoconstriction, which will cause less blood flow, leading to the production of oxidants. These oxidants will break down the collagen and elastin, making your skin thin and weak.
- Don’t forget to remove your eye-makeup! The skin around the eyes is particularly fragile, so you must use a proper product, such as Sesderma Sensyses Eye Makeup Remover.
- Get enough sleep. It’s important that you feel well rested, because, even though the lack of sleep doesn’t cause dark circles, it exaggerates their appearance. Get a good night of sleep and avoid electronic devices (or at least put them in the night mode). This minimizes blue light, which is proven to disrupt our natural sleep cycle.
Always wear sunscreen. This is a very important step to reduce the appearance and even the formation of dark circles. UV radiation is a major cause of skin problems. It stimulates the production of melanin, which leads to skin darkening.
Try SkinCeuticals Protect Mineral Eye UV Defense SPF30, a tinted sunscreen for the eye contour that will keep you protected from solar radiation!
Improve your under-eye skin appearance
- For a brighter look
If you feel that your eyes look tired, try one of this eye creams!
Sesderma C-Vit Eye Contour Cream like the name suggests has a vitamin C complex formula that helps increase your natural glow around the area giving you a youthful appearance.
Vichy Idéalia Anti-fatigue Eye Care exclusive formula enrichened with luminosity pigments and caffeine will give you a visible invigorated look.
- For all types of dark circles
If you aren’t still certain about which type of dark circles do you have, there’s no need to worry, you can try one of these creams.
Lierac Diopticerne Dark Circle Correction Brightening Fluid formula works against both types of dark circles thanks to the combination of a duo of plants with anti-bruising properties (Arnica and Ruscus) and a depigmenting complex for brighter, more luminous eyes.
La Roche-Posay Pigmentclar Eye Contour Care contains the patented Pigmentclar complex that visibly reduces brown under eye circles caused by excess melanin production. Its caffeine high concentration helps to reduce the appearance of blue circles due to its vasoconstriction effect, making it effective in both types of dark circles.
- For brown dark circles
Esthederm Esthe-White Brightening Youth Eye Care helps brighten the eye area, due to its exclusive patent Hypopigmentaline. For a visible result since day one, the cream also has a yellow color that visually corrects dark circles.
- For purple dark circles
Like it was said before purple dark circles are normally caused by circulatory problems.
Vitamin K oxide is a key ingredient to improve their appearance as it plays an important role in the blood clotting process. Due to its ability to convert ferric iron into ferrous iron (which is more easily removed), it will facilitate the removal of the vascular marks and even prevent their formation.
ISDINCEUTICS K-Ox Eyes Puffiness and Dark Circles Cream has not only vitamin K oxide but also Hyaluronic Acid, Eyeliss, and Haloxyl which will help fight dark circles, eye bags, and fine lines, creating a global treatment for the periorbital area.
Sesderma K-Vit Anti-Dark Circles Serum Clarifying formula also contains plant-based active ingredients: Camphanediol, Pinanediol, Hyaluronic Acid, and Organic Silica to improve microcirculation in the area.
- Sensitive skin
Avène PhysioLift Eye Cream contains Dextran Sulfate, an effective decongestion agent. Its ability to activate microcirculation and anti-inflammatory properties will reduce puffiness and dark circles.
It also has Thermal Spring Water, which is renowned for its soothing anti-irritating properties, making it suitable for a more sensitive skin.
Special tip: Put your eye cream in the fridge before you use it. The cold effect will make it more efficient!
Cover up your dark circles
If you need a quick fix to your under-eye skin, you can try Klorane BB Eye Cream with Soothing Cornflower!
This BB eye cream will reduce puffiness, mask your dark circles and illuminate your eyes. It’s suitable for all skin types and colors. It has a metal rollerball which helps achieve the maximum effectiveness of the formulation by improving microcirculation, giving you an instantly fresher look.